Sunday, August 26, 2007

Jesus is hilarious

John 21:1
Afterward Jesus appeared again to his disciples, by the Sea of Tiberias. It happened this way: Simon Peter, Thomas, Nathanael, the sons of Zebedee, and two other disciples were together. "I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.

Why did they catch nothing? It's God. It's God jacking with His kids. This is happening right after Peter has denied Jesus. And instead of letting Peter drown in shame and loneliness, He begins by complicating things. It goes on to say “Just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the shore...”. In the midst of their frustration, Jesus is going to enter the scene.

But it says, “...yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus.”

Why didn't they know? What's going on with that? Have you ever noticed that? Whenever Jesus shows up after the resurrection, people aren't recognizing Him. What's going on with that? Does the resurrection body look different? Do they just not believe it's Jesus. Is He disfigured because Revelation tells us He's the only person in eternity that will still bear His scars? What is it? I think it's His sense of humor. I think it's Him jacking with people. I mean, I see it in one chapter earlier when Mary Magdalene runs in and sees the two angels dressed in white. There's no mistaking who they are! And she says,“Where's the Lord?” And they're like, “Hey, He's not here.” And so she turns around and looks RIGHT AT Jesus and He says, “Why are you crying?”

He knows why she's crying!

And then He says, “Who are you looking for?”
He knows who she's looking for!!

Why is He doing that? And see she keeps the conversation going, “Well, I'm looking for my Lord and I can't find Him.” And I'm like, “Why is she not figuring that out?” It says later that it was because she thought He was the gardener. Why?!?! I think it's because Jesus was messing with the bushes.. all pretending to garden.. going, “Hey, are you crying? What's going on?” She's like, “I don't know.” He's like, “Who are you looking for?” Because all it takes for Him to be recognized, it says Jesus looked at her and said,“Mary,” and she was like, “Jesus!!!

Another instance - Two disciples are walking along the road to Emmaus and He comes walking along and hears them talking about what's been going on in Jerusalem. He says, “What are you talking about?” - (HE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!) They say, “Are you the only person in Jerusalem who doesn't know what's been happening these days?” And He goes, “What things?” (He knows what things.) Then they start telling Him about His own death.

And then He's like, “Oh, that's interesting. Wait a minute, wasn't that meant to fulfill prophecies in Scripture” And He starts preaching the Old Testament to them, still not letting them know who He is. Then it says they arrived at their destination and He pretends that He's walking further until they invite Him to dinner.

And it says right at that moment, He breaks bread and He's like, “Dudes, it's Me!” And POOF He's gone. He disappears. So He waits until the seven mile trip is over and they're like, “That was friggin Jesus.” So they run back seven miles to Jerusalem, go to where the other disciples are hiding, say, “We just saw Jesus.” The others are saying, “I'm not sure if I believe you.” And then right in the middle of that panic, it says that Jesus just appears to them and says, “PEACE BE WITH YOU.” Which I think is funny because it says He terrifies all of them and He's like, “Peace be with you” and they react the opposite of that.

And then in that moment, to prove that He's really resurrected from the dead, there He is, they saw Him die, now He's back to life and He goes, “Does anyone have any fish?” They go, “Yeah.” And He just starts eating fish. Which I think is one of the most hilarious things. It's one of those things called internal proofs. I know that's true because no one would have made that up. “I'm back from the dead. And now for My next trick, who has some salmon?”

2 comments:

Michawn said...

Hey...so are you ever going to blog again? :) Hee hee hee.

And, do you really cuss sometimes? I love that.

Nicole said...

You are funny...yes my life is quite like the Titan! And I am glad you love it bc thats why you love the Gravey Train! :)

Yea...so when are you gonna blog again??